Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Lobster Fishing/Part 1

Nova Scotian lobster is among the best lobster in the world. Last November I wrote a post called 'Dumping Day' (you can read it by clicking here) about the first day of lobster fishing season. Well today, is the last day of lobster fishing season in Nova Scotia. On Monday I went lobster fishing and what a day that was! I had to be up at 4:00am! I hardly slept the night before as I was thinking about it too much.

So I was wide awake when the alarm clock went off. I was really excited, there's something exciting about getting up that early because it always reminds me of when I was younger and I used to live in Libya, we would always have to get up that early when we went on holidays and I always remember being excited as we drove to the airport in the early morning hours and the roads were totally empty.


We got to the harbour not long after 5:00am and got on the boat. The picture above was taken on the boat before leaving the harbour. It was so beautiful, at about 6 am, to see the sunrise out at sea...

Lobster Fishermen leave their lobster traps in the water overnight and then in the morning they go and haul up their traps to see if they've caught any lobster and to put new bait in the lobster traps before leaving their traps in the water again. To recognise where your lobster traps are, you have your own bouys in the water.

When you find your bouy, you pull it up on the boat like the one in the picture above and then you hook the rope to a wheel that then basically pulls up your lobster traps from the water as they are all tied to the rope.

For some reason, I am not able to upload any more photos on this post anymore, so I am publishing this part and hope to be able to publish the next part soon.

TO BE CONTINUED ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that too, mum and dad had the alarm clock on the table in the hallway and I'd keep running out to look at the time to see if it was time to get up yet to go to the airport, and we'd never sleep the night before!

Nik P said...

Oh, come on! What a cliffhanger! I wanted to see lobster photos! Have to wait now...

I loved fishing when I was a kid, especially when it involved weird animals and crustaceans. I had so much fun then... Of course, now I just live in a lab.

Lobster photos!