The Solar System
The Solar System is made up from stars, the Sun, Moon, and the nine planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.The Solar System is also made up from minor planets, comets, meteoroids, and cosmic dust. It would take about 2000 years to get across the solar system, moving as fast as a 747 Passenger Jet. All objects in the solar system orbit the Sun.
The smallest planet; It is the coldest planet.
· Neptune has two thick and two thin rings surrounding it.
· It is approximately 2.8 billion miles away from the Sun.
· Uranus is almost identical to Neptune.
· Uranus is made of Methane ice.
· Saturn is the 2nd largest planet in the solar system.
· 755 Earths could fit inside Saturn.
· Jupiter is the largest planet in the Solar System.
· Jupiter is mostly made of a gas called hydrogen.
· Jupiter has a small rocky core at its centre and it is bigger than the Earth.
· Mars is often called the “Red Planet” because of its colour.
· It is about half the size of the Earth.
· In Mars, one day is 24½ hours long.
It is often called “The Water Planet” because it is the only planet in our Solar System which has liquid water on its surface (about 70% of the surface of Earth is covered by water).
· Venus is about the same size of the Earth.
· It is very hot all over the whole planet (465˚C).
Mercury · It is the closest planet to the Sun.
· It has no moons.
· It is the hottest planet in the day; At night, because Mercury spins so slowly, you could freeze to death.
The Sun · The Sun is a star.
· It is made of gases called hydrogen and helium.
· The outside temperature of the Sun is 11,000ºF.
· More than one billion planet Earths could fit inside the Sun because it is so big.
· The Moon is moving about one inch away from the Earth each year.
· It has a diameter of about 3,476 kilometers.
· There are roughly 100 billion stars in the galaxy.
· The Sun is the closest star to Earth.
· It would take about a hundred thousand years to get to the closest star using the fastest space ship on earth.
· A star is made out of a bunch of burning gas made of Helium and Hydrogen.