Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Iraqi Doctors from Baghdad

Baghdad at night

Well, I said I would update you with news about my meeting with the Iraqi doctors, so here it is. First of all, the Doctor who was going to visit us yesterday ended up cancelling and not being able to make it because he had some patients to see.

But then today Gary had another appointment to see the eye doctor and asked me if I wanted to go with him, as we were going to go food shopping afterwards. Well when we were at the doctor's surgery, both him and his wife were there, so I was introduced to them and we started talking in Arabic, and they were really nice and invited me to go to their house straight away. So I went with the Doctor's wife (also a doctor herself) back to their house as she was just finishing work anyway.

Gary went and did the food shopping on his own to give me time to spend with the Doctor's wife. She was very nice and gave me some Koba (Iraqi food) to eat. That was really nice. Then the doctor came home from work too so I got to spend some time talking to both of them. They have a son my age (who is abroad studying medicine) and a daughter who is a few years younger than me and she lives in a different part of Canada, where she works as an Electrical Engineer. So I guess, with their kids living far from home, and me being their kids' age, it is nice for them and for me to get to know them.

They were very nice to me and gave me an open invitation to visit and stay with them whenever I like. They basically treated me like I was their daughter. Gary came to pick me up after he did the food shopping and he had a really nice chat with them too. I even got to speak to their daughter as she called while I was there and spoke to me on the phone, she seemed really nice too.

So that's the basic update and hopefully it will be the start of a new friendship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again brilliant news. Thank you so much for the update. Lovely scenery what a blessing for you!
God Bless You dear Ash xx

Anonymous said...

That's great, Ash. Sounds like you are having a fantastic time over there. Love the photos.

Take care,

Jane

Ash said...

Anonymous (is that you Elaine?) - Thank you for your encouragement.

Jane - Welcome to my blog. So lovely to hear from you babe!

Love you loads,
Ash x