Saturday, September 16, 2006

Politics and the world we live in

Even though I am from Iraq, (and all Iraqis somehow manage to get involved in politics - it's like in their genes or something), I do try and stay away from talking about politics, especially on my blog.

However, I am making an exception today. I found out this afternoon that a couple of months ago, one of my dad's brothers had been kidnapped by a group of terrorists in Baghdad. They had demanded $50,000 from my uncle's family for his release. My poor uncle is in his 70's and a lovely man and a really hard working honest man.

Eventually, my cousin managed to negotiate with the terrorists and get them to agree to lower the ransom amount to $10,000, as that was all that he could possibly raise, from all his friends and family members. Thankfully they did release my uncle when they got the money.

Isn't it so sick and disgusting that so many people's hard work earnings' go to people that will use that money to just further inflict terror on others? I am so thankful that my uncle is still alive, but what a horrible experience.

The world has fallen so so so far short from the glory of God, that human beings can choose to bring terror to others, and treat the rest of humanity in such a despicable way. Contrast that with Jesus choosing to lay down his life for others.

One of my favourite verses at the moment is John 15:13 where Jesus says: 'Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.' The world desperately needs people who are full of God's love, people who will choose to lay their lives down for their friends, instead of people who think nothing of taking other people's lives for their own selfish personal gain.

Speaking of the world we live in, I thought that I was a well travelled person until I did this world map thing, and I realised that I've only been to 9% of the world (21 countries). I guess I need to travel the world a bit more. I love travelling and meeting people from different parts of the world.



create your own visited countries map

Try it yourself and see how much of the world you have been to. I got this from AJ's blog. Thanks AJ.

No comments: