Thursday, April 27, 2006

Being towed...

I was just thinking to myself this afternoon, that today has pretty much been quite a 'boring' day. I had vacuumed upstairs this morning, had a nice lunch, checked my e-mail, nothing new or exciting. It was quite sunny outside, but I didn't go out for a walk. I was just moping round the house being a bit bored, when Gary asked me if I wanted to go to town with him for a coffee.


Gladly, I accepted. It's always exciting here just to go to town. Well, let me tell you, before we even had the chance to even get to a shop, our trip into town was terminated. We didn't get abducted by aliens or anything, but what did happen was that we parked outside a bank (to get some money). And that literally was as far as we got to go.

The car would just not start again. Ofcourse we had forgotten to take the cell phone with us, so in the end we had to walk down the main street trying to find a pay phone. It is at times like these, ofcourse, that you learn things about your town you did not know. I did not know that there are no payphones anywhere in sight on the very main road of our town. We had to go to a hotel and use their pay phone in the end.

Gary got his Tim Horton's coffee (which is not as good as Starbucks - but alas, there is no Starbucks in Nova Scotia) and I got a Hazelnut smoothie (which is really nice) and we both got honey dip doughnuts (see bottom right hand corner of picture below - they are so yummy).


We then had to just wait for this guy to come and tow us to the garage station near our home. As the garage was already shut when we got there, we had to leave the car there. The guy who towed us apparantly is not a mechanic so he could not help us and they certainly don't offer roadside assistance here like the AA or the RAC would do in the UK. So the guy who towed us, just left us there. Ofcourse I did not have the camera with me at the time, so this random picture from the internet will just have to do instead...


Fortunately, the garage did have a payphone. Gary picked up the phone receiver to dial home so we can get picked up, when all of a sudden this French Acadian guy drives up to us and lowers down his window and asks us if we need help and offered to give us a ride home. So, Nova Scotia, Canada may not exactly be as modern as England when it comes to Roadside Assistance and they may not have a lot of payphones in public display, but they do have some friendly people.

My first reaction was that of suspicion, but seeing as Gary was with me, I knew I would be ok. We accepted his kind offer and he gave us a lift home. It turns out that he is a nice guy after all and is the second cousin of someone we know round here. I tell you, everyone knows everyone round here - Nova Scotians seem to all be related somehow. So that was my first 'being towed' experience ever, and now I certainly can't say that my day was boring.

Another thing that is never boring or predictable round here is the weather. It changes so much and sometimes quite dramatically, you just never know what tomorrow will be like. If you don't believe me, I have added a 'weather pixie' on my sidebar and it will tell you what the weather here is like, I think it updates itself every hour or so. The weather girl on the icon even changes her clothes according to the weather. So come snow, sunshine, rain or wind round here, you will be in the know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't get towed in the middle of the night like I did!

By the way, remember the 5K run we did last year? Shafuq talked me into signing up for the 10K one so we have. And this one's on the second of July, so I've only got 2 months to train and I haven't been near a gym since September last year.

Ash said...

Wow! 10k - that's gonna be hard. You better start training now. I thought the 5k was bad enough last year. Glad that I did it though in the end.